Although printed documents and websites are similar in many ways, there are some special checks that apply to web content.
A site assessment report is usually the first step towards improving your website. In it, I provide an analysis of:
- content: Is it well written for the web? Is the grammar and spelling correct? Does it make sense? Does it have effective SEO (can search engines such as Google find it)?
- structure: Is the content divided up appropriately? Do links and navigation labels help a visitor to find what they are looking for?
- standards: Is the code valid and efficient? Will it work on a range of browsers? Is the site accessible to people with disabilities? (If you don’t think this is important, read my article Access all areas.)
The site report gives you an idea of the size of the task ahead. It includes recommendations for action and an estimate of the cost of each option.
The cost of a site report depends on the size of your site.
- 1 to 10 pages: $300
- 11 to 50 pages: $600
- 51 pages or more – contact me for a quote.
Information architecture edit
Effective information architecture allows a site visitor to complete the task they came to your website for – whether that is buying a game, booking an event, or answering a trivia question.
In an information architecture edit, I review the following:
- Is the site logically organised?
- Are any labels or signposts (such as links or menus) likely to make sense to your reader? (Cardiac arrest might be a suitable label for a site aimed at medical professionals; Heart attacks would be more appropriate language for one aimed at the general public.)
- Is there enough information, in the right places, for the visitor to complete their task?
- Have you repeated information instead of linking to it?
The cost of a site report depends on the size of your site and the complexity of the content.
Contact me for a quote.
In addition to the tasks listed under General editing, a website copy edit includes:
- Check that the alt text for each image (the text which replaces the image where it is unavailable) is appropriate.
- Edit captions for images and multimedia.
Review or create a title, description and keyword metadata for each page.
The cost of a site copy edit depends on the size of your site and the complexity of the content.
Contact me for a quote.